Sunday, April 24, 2022

Sister Guffey and St. George

Tuesday March 29, 2022 

Since the end of February I have been planning our journey to Utah and visiting our beautiful Missionary granddaughter, Sister Emily Guffey, at the St. George Temple Visitors Center. 




But on the day we traveled to St. George to see her, 1 yr. and 5 days after she started her mission, she was transferred to Cedar City, Utah. So, instead of spending an hour or so with our beautiful missionary granddaughter touring the visitors center, this Grandma was very grateful to get the 5 minutes of hugs, kisses and laughs as we caught up with her in Cedar City on her way to an appointment.





As time goes by there are some little, poignant moments in my life I remember like it was yesterday. One of those was the first time I held Emily in my arms. And now, I had her in my arms once again, a beautiful. sweet, righteous young women, but in my memory I remembered the tiny, dark haired baby who made me a grandmother. Yes, there were a few tears on my part. She was so busy she didn't have time to be emotional. C'est la vie!
****
We spent the rest of the afternoon visiting with our dear friends, Boyd and Carol Fife, at their place near Cedar City, then drove down to St. George, Utah to spend the night.
****


I don't remember how many times I have driven past the city of St. George, Utah,  but for once we decided to stop so I could enjoy the town. 


Unfortunately, the St. George temple was closed for renovations, but it was lovely to see it in the early morning light.

We checked online and it said the visitor center opened at 9:00, so we thought we would take a tour before continuing our journey to Mesa. But, there was sign on the door saying the center wouldn't open until 10:00. Okay... on to plan B.


Welcome to the Brigham Young winter home in St. George Utah. 


It was a beautiful home and very interesting for us to see the construction, details and antiques in the home.


This home was begun in 1869 and Brigham Young used it at his winter home until his death in 1877. 






It was a lovely way to spend the morning, but we needed to be on the road and traveling. 

So we left and went to Mesa, Arizona where we would spend the next week and a half relaxing and having fun with Cali and her kiddos!

 

No comments: