Sunday, November 1, 2020

Martin's Cove and Mount Rushmore

Wednesday July 22, 2020

Ever since I was a small girl I have wanted to visit Mount Rushmore. I think I have traveled by car from Idaho to the East or Midwest U.S.A., or the reverse trip, at least once a year for nearly 20 years.  But I never took the time to visit this wonderful Monument. I told Darryl I was going to come home the long way and go to see this spectacular sight.

🌻🌻🌻

As I was driving through Wyoming on the way to my Patriotic destination I saw a sign that said "Martin's Cove Mormon Historical site." I have never been to Martin's Cove either, but my children have. I decided now was as good a time as any to visit. Due to the Pandemic all the buildings were closed and there was only one other vehicle and they soon left.


Below is the Oregon Trail Marker.


These Pioneers pulled all their worldly goods in small handcarts from Iowa to Utah. Thousands made it safely, but 2 groups left late and were trapped by an early snow storm in this part of the mountains. You can see "Devil's Gate" in the Distance.





In the garden the sculptures tell the story of the struggle to stay alive as they took shelter from the cold and only had a small portion (12 oz) of flour to eat each day.


Looking towards Martin's Cove where the Pioneers were found when the rescue parties arrived. I left this sacred place with such gratitude in my heart for those hearty pioneers who sacrificed so much in order to freely worship Heavenly Father and live his gospel.


I arrived at The Mount Rushmore National Memorial around 5:30 in the evening. 
It was an incredible sight to see.



To view this immense sculpture in person was breathtaking. 




I stayed for about 2 hours and pondered the blessings I have received as a citizen of this great Nation and all that the presidents on that mountain did to create and preserve the United States of America!


Were they perfect men? No! But they were good men. They were the men God chose to fulfill his purposes for this nation and for the world.


As I left the Memorial I could see the profile of President George Washington looking out over the beautiful Black Hills ever vigilant as he watches over our great United States.

As the sun was setting I continued on to Rapid City, South Dakota where I spent the night and left at around 6:00 a.m. ready to get home to Darryl.
🚐🚐🚐
Thursday July 23, 2020


South Dakota is Beautiful! I don't think I have ever driven through this state and I was in awe at the beauty I saw all around me. If it just didn't get so bitterly cold in the winter time I think I could move here.

I had to stop for gas around lunch time, so I took an hour's break while I was in Mitchell, SD to go and see the World's Only Corn Palace. The murals you see and the entire front on the "Palace" are made out of corn. Whole corn cobs and sheaves and stalks. Incredible! They change the mural every year so I am excited to see what the 2021 murals will be.


Up on the balcony you could get a good detailed view of the murals and the roofing and the turrets.



I grabbed some lunch and hit the road. I drove straight through to Joliet, Illinois where I stopped around 1:00 a.m. and slept in my car until 5:30 when I got breakfast and ventured east, trying to get through the Chicago traffic before rush hour. I arrived at our little apartment home in Angola, Indiana around 10:30 Friday morning July 24th, Mormon Pioneer Day. What a way to celebrate their great legacy by traveling across this great country. I traveled in two days what would take them 2 - 4 months. When I think of what they endured it truly amazes me and I am ever more thankful for them.

No comments: