Friday, December 31, 2021

The Tony Couch Watercolor Workshop

     OCTOBER 4-7, 

In June I signed up for a 4 day watercolor workshop in Birmingham, Alabama with one of the worlds premiere watercolor artist, Tony Couch.


Mr. Couch is 91 years young and his workshop was not just educational but a lot of fun!


Each morning her would start a painting teaching us his technique and many, many tricks of the trade. He would nearly complete his painting by lunchtime.  


He would let us get up close to watch and would entertain us with stories from his past and adventures in the art world. I have one of his books and he signed it for me.



Here you can enjoy some of his works of art.




After lunch each day the class would then paint their own piece which would be critiqued by Tony at the end of the day.


The cost for the workshop was $550.00 and was worth every penny. I would really like to do it again in the near future. On the second day Tony's painting was a lovely street scene.




I am happy to say that I am the proud owner of this beautiful watercolor painting! I actually bought two of his paintings!




On the third evening after the workshop, several of us went to the artists mill to see one of our new friend's Studio. It was an old factory with hundreds of studios and shops, and it was quite fun.



Thank you Tony for all you taught me!




Tony's Palette. Eleven colors is all he needs to create such beautiful artwork.





Looking forward to doing this again!

Now to go home and apply all that I learned.


No comments: