Wednesday, November 28, 2018

A View From My Office

Most of the time my work for Dome Technology is done from some type of office, either in a job office trailer, a storage/office container or a desk set up in our apartment. 
For the Holter Dam job in Wolf Creek, Montana my office looked like this.
Tuesday August 28, 2018

That's right. My main responsibility on this job was to batch the concrete and drive the mixer truck onto the dam to unload the mix into the concrete pump. 

Holter Dam is on the Missouri river as it runs through the Montana Mountains. For me the views were beautiful...

...as long as I was looking to the right or left.
It just looked narrow  and precarious if I looked straight ahead.

Since the narrowest part of the dam was just at 10' wide and my truck was just over 9' wide there was no turning around. It was drive on and back off. The greater portion of the dam was at 12' 6" wide, thank goodness.


The view of the dam from the Ox Bow Ranch road.
Holter Lake and  Holter Dam on the Missouri River.

Every single day we saw deer. some of them would walk right up to our staging area near the base of the dam. 

Being blessed to take in these beautiful vistas was a wonderful way to end the summer.

It was a rough life but someone had to do it. Sometimes, when they were moving equipment I could relax and ponder on the beauty of this gorgeous area.

..... and then it was back to work, work, work.

It was about 1/4 mile to back out to the dam entrance.

Our crew doing shotcrete repair inside the bays under the dam.

I had to drive about 1/2 mile to our water source for mixing and batching the concrete and cleaning the equipment.

The last few mornings there was a mist of steam rising off the water above the dam because it was so chilly.

Sightings of big bucks and large herds of deer were very common.

Although driving the mixer truck is not the normal work I do for Dome, it was fun and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

No comments: