Sunday, November 18, 2018

McCormick Reapers and Elephants

Monday August 13, 2018
I know you are looking at the title of this blog post and thinking to yourself, "What in the world does that mean?" To quote Ricky Ricardo, "Let me e'splain'." 
Ryan had Monday off work so we drove over to Walnut Grove, Virginia to the farm where the first successful mechanical reaper was invented and demonstrated in 1831 by Cyruc McCormick and it was patented in 1837.

This is such a beautiful and tranquil place.


The waterwheel actually turns at the mill where they would grind the grain into meal or flour.

This farm is on the National Registry of Historic places and is maintained and run by the 
U.S. National Parks Service.


Inside the forge and mill look as they did almost 200 yrs. ago.




Even the viewing barrier looks rustic.

The upstairs of the mill has been restored with an actual replica of one of the first reapers.

Since Skye and Ryan were unable to make it to the Family Reunion in Idaho, the asked if I would help them watercolor. Ryan, Skye and Reagan painted elephants and miss Annabelle painted a crab. 
I knew Ryan was quite an artist, but Skye and Reagan also have some artistic talent when it comes to elephants. I painted an elephant along with them, and then did a little seascape just for fun. 
I think holding a tiny sleeping baby is my favorite way to paint!

The finished artwork!

We had a lot of fun and as you can see, they are quite a talented family!

What a delightful visit I had. I packed up and left the next day, which is always sad for this Grandma. I can't wait to get back and see them again!

No comments: