Monday, January 28, 2019

Food Post - An Apology Is In Order

TO ALL THE GOOD FOLK OF ENGLAND
Be it known that I, Cindy Cunningham, on this 29th day of January in the year of 2019, do hereby apologize for any disparaging and negative remarks I may have said in the past about the food and cooking here in this fine land of Great Britain.
***


🍷🍗.🍰
Before coming over to England Darryl and I talked with several people who had been here to get advice on what to see and do and find out about the local culture here in Selby. When we asked about the food, almost everyone said it was terrible. I was skeptical as I am a fan of the TV phenom, the Great British Baking Show, but still, I did pass along these remarks to some of my children. For that I must apologize. Since the day we set foot in England we have had nothing but the most delicious food. From many different restaurants and private homes the food has been fabulous and for that I thank you and apologize. 
*****
Here is just a small sampling of some of the meals we have enjoyed.
Traditional Yorkshire Pudding with fried onions and rich brown gravy.

Bangers and Mash served with English Peas in a huge Yorkshire Pudding.

Everybody's favorite - Fish and Chips with a side of Mashed Peas.

Steak and Ale Pie with Chips and gravy.

 Fishcakes and Salad.

Lamb Shank with root vegetables and another fish and chips, this time with Peas and Curry sauce.

From Lucky's Tea Room in York, I had the Quiche Lorraine and Darryl had the Chicken kebabs. These were accompanied by three salads of our choice. I had a Mediterranean Carrot Salad, Beet Salad and a delicious slaw. Darryl had the slaw, a pasta salad and something delicious with Curry.

This weekend we tried a local Thai eatery here in Selby. Below is Fried Softshell Crab on Rice noodles.

A scrumptious Thom Kha (One of my favorite foods ever!)

The main dishes were a fried Pork with cashews, peppers and more and my Green Chicken Curry. 

These offerings don't even take into account all of the delicious pastries, and other culinary delights we've enjoyed. So don't ever let anyone tell you the food here isn't good. They just haven't eaten at the right places.

No comments: