Friday, September 6, 2024

She Calls Me Abuela Cindy

 I have a sweet little friend here who calls me "Grandma Cindy". To be fair, I consider her my granddaughter.

I have known my little nieta, Ximena since she was only a few months old. Her father, Lalo, is a good friend who we have known and worked with for over 15 years, and he sometimes teasingly calls me his "Gringo Mama". Ximena's Mama, Cintia is such a sweet, dear friend and one of the kindest women you will ever meet. 

Ximena wanted to learn something new while living near us in Cartagena, so she decided to take up crochet. Twice a week I pick her up and take her to Señora Violet's Craft Shop where she takes crochet lessons. 


And she is quite good and has learned to crochet very fast. She has made some cute animals and a cover for her phone.



When she finishes with her class we walk back to my apartment, usually stopping along the way for some ice cream or a treat of some kind. 
Since Ximena is bi-lingual, she makes ordering the ice cream quite easy. 


Ximena has two younger brothers she likes to play with and take care of. She is a very good big sister.

One day it was extremely hot and threatening rain, so we took the bicycle taxi home.

But on most days we walk the 10 blocks and she will say. "I like to walk with you Grandma Cindy. Walking with you is my favorite, you are fun". And then she will hug me tight and say "I love you Grandma!" and my heart melts. I love you too sweet Ximena!

No comments: