Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Our Savannah Weekend

A quiet Walk through the city......
On our last Saturday in Georgia Darryl, Cody, Skye, Ryan and I went to the beautiful city of Savannah. Our first stop was Paula Dean's restaurant, The Lady and Sons. We went to the Paula Dean store but didn't get to eat because at 11:00 in the morning they were booked throught the dinner hour and late into the evening. We walked around town and enjoyed the beautiful architecture of the very old buildings and the not so old. This home was built in the 1880's I believe.


This home is actually a museum. It is so interesting to me to see how Americans lived in times gone by.

We visited the Olde City Cemetary where Heros from wars are buried. Nathanial Green was originally buried in this cemetary. The Spanish Moss hanging from the trees almost made me think I was in an Antebellum novel.

Cody and Ryan enjoying the quiet reverence that prevailed in this hallowed place.

Every few blocks there would be a square or small park with a small fountain and benches shaded by huge live oaks, magnolia and crepe myrtle trees. The fragrance was glorious and the few minutes rest well appreciated in the heat of the day.
We went over the the shops on Broadstreet where the cotton merchants and rice merchants used to bring their wares. These shops and hotels were built up to street level but on the back side they were one story down and right on the river with an original cobblestone street. Beyond the river and bay you could look out to the Ocean.
This is the old Cotton Exchange Building. It is no longer in use.
Looking down from the cotton exchange to the street below. On the other side of the buildings is the cobblestone street on the river.

It was a very pleasant day, if you don't count the van breaking down and having to find a rental car. We went out to Tybee Island and saw the Light Station and ate at a wonderful seafood restaurant called Ray's. If you are in need of a lovely, slower paced vacation, Y'all should visit Savannah sometime.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I have been begging David to take me to Savannah for a while now. I am so jealous! My first stop would also be The Lady & Sons, I LUV LUV LUV Paula Deen!

Jacob and Cami said...

Jacob and I are gonna go one of these days. It looks so nice and southern.

Cali and Travis said...

It does look beautiful. I'd have to see it in person though to see how it compares to my other favorite southern city, Charleston.