Sunday, June 19, 2011

Running the “Dam” Thing

100_0348100_0356

"In running, it doesn't matter whether you come in first, in the middle of the pack, or last. You can say, 'I have finished.' There is a lot of satisfaction in that."

-Fred Lebow, New York City Marathon co-founder

100_0359 100_0364The Teton Dam Marathon races were a lot of fun. Cali talked me into doing the 5K while she ran the Half-Marathon. Our friend Eden called about 10 days before the race to say she was coming down from Washington (near Spokane) to run in her very first Marathon. What fun we had. Eden’s race started at the Teton Dam Site at 6:30, Cali’s race started in Rexburg at 7:30 and mine started at 8:30.  There were some pretty good hills that each of us had to climb. Mine was at the very start of my race and went up for 1.7 miles. The good part is I ran most of the last mile (which is downhill).

100_0369100_0375100_0379 Darryl and Eden’s mom were the designated babysitters for the day. Darryl dropped me off at the park for my race then they took off to go find Cali and Eden. Gideon loves to run along with his mom when he sees her coming. Eden did excellent  for her very first Marathon and caught up with Cali toward the end of the Race. Her official race time was 3:54. She finished 3rd in her age group (20-29), fifth for the women and 21st overall.  What a great Job.

100_0381100_0391100_0396 Cali did well for her Half Marathon. She has done one faster, but this did have a lot of hills. She is such an inspiration to me as I start on this journey of running. She teaches me to have patience with myself and to celebrate all of my little victories and milestones in my personal running quest. By her constant and persistent personal example she shows me that I don’t have anyone to compete against except myself, and to improve myself is all that really matters.  – Of course, She also gives me ‘that’ look (you girls know the one I mean) when I start talking like I am too tired to run or want to wimp out. Just knowing that eyebrow might raise as she looks at me is enough to make me want to go for a run. Winking smile Thank you Cali. You really do keep me going.  (And she looks so darn cute when she runs. )

100_0400100_0401100_0403   After the race we had a picnic on the median of the boulevard as we cheered on the runners coming in!

100_0408100_0414As for me, this was my second 5K and I was able to run half of it and although I was spent at the end it did feel good!

No comments: