Saturday, October 9, 2021

For the Love of Slippers

Friday - May 28, 2021
Sweet, sweet Slippers, the beautiful Sheep-a-doodle service dog who joined Hillary and Jake's family in early spring of  2018 to help Jethro with the many issues he was dealing with from his accident in 2016, was hit by a car while protecting her little doggie brother Rocky, and spent 3 days undergoing surgeries and clinging to life in intensive care in the best animal hospital in valley before succumbing to her injuries. She passed away on 
Monday, May 31, 2021.
Hillary texted the news to us at 5:15 in the morning, and when we received the phone call at 5:20  in the morning, a weeping Hillary could barely talk to tell us that Slippers had died. Darryl looked at me and said I should go be with Hillary as we both knew Slippers was like family to her. But what would we do with Gideon and Parker? I called Shiloh and Cami and they said "Bring them on over to North Carolina"! I got online and booked a ticket then I packed my bags, packed up the kids and Darryl packed an overnight bag and called work to tell them he had a family emergency and would be gone for the next couple of days. We left the house at 9:15 a.m., they dropped me off at the Mobile, Alabama airport at 10:00 and drove on to North Carolina while I caught my 11:15 a.m. flight. My flight from Dallas was cancelled, but luckily I was rebooked on a later flight. It was around 8:00 when I got to Utah. Cody, Alisa and family picked me up and took me to Hillary's. 
On the flight I was thinking we needed to do a Memorial Service for Slippers. While driving to her house Hillary called and asked if I could do one. When I arrived there were lots of hugs and even more tears. Jake was trying to be strong while Hillary, Jethro and Gabriel just felt a great emptiness and loss. I think little Ezra was just trying to figure out what was really happening. 
I went down to bed with Jethro and lay beside him where Slippers used to sleep. We talked and laughed a little. He said, "Grandma, I don't know if you've noticed, but my dad eats a lot. That's why his tummy is so fat!" Oh how I laughed. He fell asleep after 30 minutes and I went upstairs and talked with Hillary and held her some more while we both had a good cry and really mourned our loss. I believe we will all feel better tomorrow.
 
Our boy Jethro and his best friend (and big sister) Slippers.
Christmas Day 2019

The boys and their dogs.

The Platt Family July 2018

I am happy I insisted that Slippers be included in the Family photos of our 2018 Family Reunion.

Grandpa exercising the boys and the dog on our road trip, somewhere in New Mexico. 
Monday March 8, 2021.

March 11, 2021 

Visiting Grandma and Grandpa in Gautier, Mississippi
Slippers wanted to go everywhere with her boy.

And she was a good fishing buddy.

             If there is ever a tomorrow when we’re not together…

There is something you must always remember.

You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem

and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is,

even if we’re apart ……  I’ll always be with you.

-        A.A. Milne


Always......
                                 

In her working harness at the Mississippi Aquarium on March 11th, 2021




J.J. and his best friend. Oh how she is missed.

When we took Slippers to the beach with us, she never took her eyes off of the boys, even when she was resting in the shade. She was always there for them when they needed her. Not just the boys, but Hillary and Jake and even me when I was visiting.


Slippers intuitively knew when someone was hurting, or in trouble and needed her. While staying with us this spring, as we walked by my neighbors patio she pulled me over there and tried to get over the railing. My neighbor was having a type of mild seizure and Slippers could sense it. The neighbor was able to get up after a few moments and pet slippers, but slippers didn't want to leave her.


Hillary had a very hard time with the loss of Slippers. Slippers was as much her emotional support dog as she was J.J.'s service dog. Cali, Shiloh, Cami, Jesse, Skye and Cody pitched in and sent this beautiful bouquet to help the family cope with their loss.
 Hillary put together a picture collage of J.J. and Slippers for his room and they made a shadow box of her harness and collar and hung it in the family room. They asked me to paint a picture of Slippers. I've never tried to paint something like this on my own before, but I did the best I could.


We held a memorial service for Slippers on Tuesday. Oh how she was loved!
💗💗💗

HEAVEN’S PETS

There’s a special place in Heaven

That our Lord has set aside

For all His children’s loving pets

Who lived on earth and died.

 

He knows we loved them greatly,

He loves them greatly too.

So He is caring for them

While they wait for me and you.

 

They Frolic with the Angels

In the beauty up above,

While watching and waiting

For the friend they dearly love!

    -  Ron Trammer

💖💖💖





 

No comments: