Friday, April 30, 2010

Feliz Dia del Nino!

So, on Friday April 16th Darryl and I left work, and as we started through town we kept passing cars adorned with Balloons. Some were Green, others orange or blue or pink. People in cars or on the street waving pom poms or streamers or signs of varying colors...
There were literally hundreds of cars in this parade and we had no Idea what it was for until we saw this.

Yep, you saw that right.
Dozens and dozens of cars decorated with balloons and children sitting on top of them.

Each car with a child was followed by a contingent of cars decorated in the same colors with supporters cheering for their little prince or princess.
Up and down both sides of the streets around the Tres Presidentes Plaza to the malecone and back...
Boys and girls on top of cars. Some weren't quite sure of the whole thing....but their fans didn't seem to have any problem expressing themselves....
And others knew just how to play to the crowds.

I grabbed my camera, rolled down the window on my side of the truck and sat on the edge to take pictures. Everyone seemed to be having a good time, but Darryl & I still didn't know what all the hoopla was about. Oh well, We enjoyed it just the same.
The following Friday we saw the same kind of parade only this time the car top riders were all teenagers and the groups seemed a little more boistrous. I was sorry I didn't have my camera with me. Last night as we drove through town after work (I forgot the camera again) they were once again decorating dozens of cars and this time small floats and trailers with balloons and lining them up for a parade. Local bands were setting up on the streets and we saw several young people in costumes and some in formals with bouquets of flowers and crowns. And we finally found out what is going on. These celebrations have all been leading up to today..
April 30, 2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Since 1925, Dia del Nino, or Day of the Child, has grown as an annual celebration throughout Mexico. This day recognizes children, pays homage to their importance in society, and endorses their well being.
~~~
Feliz Dia del Nino!
**
What a Happy Day!

2 comments:

Guffey Family said...

I expected to scroll doan and see a picture of CIndy on top of the work car. My loss!

Darryl and Cindy Cunningham said...

Nope, I know what you really expected. To see Cindy hanging out the truck window by one leg yelling.... My hip!, OUch, My hip!
You can't fool me. :-D